Do I need to use Prep Coat?
What is Prep Coat and why should I use it?
BAUWERK Colour Prep Coat is a white water based paint that has threemain functions:
1. It provides a completely uniform matt white background colour
2. It has the right amount of absorbency to allow the limewash paint to anchor itself into and
3. Allows for an easy application with enough time to brush out the paint the way you prefer
Prep Coat is a ultra-low VOC water based base paint with a higher than usual amount of absorbing material content. All tools easily wash out with water.
BAUWERK Prep-Coat is not a sealer to block out stains or equalise absorbency differences.
When should I use BAUWERK Colour Prep Coat?
BAUWERK Prep Coat is only used for some internal wall application.
You do need Prep Coat when you want to paint:
- surfaces that have previously been painted with other paints
- non-absorbent materials, such as plywood
- dry wall panels, including gypsum plaster board (must be pre-pared with a Gypsum Primer)
We have detailed application instructions for most common surfaces, more are added from time to time.
Please contact us if you have any specific questions that you did not find an answer for in our FAQ section.
Is BAUWERK Prep coat for limewash samples needed?
In a lot of cases you can limewash paint onto a clean light coloured unblemished surface that has no gloss level to it and skip the Prep Coat for the sample application.
However, if that is not the case, or you will need repaint the wall that you use for your samples, it is recommend to use the Prep-coat even for the samples. The Prep-Coat does intensify some colours, as it provides a nice pure white backdrop the pigmentation of the paint can get hold of.
Suitable substrates and preparation
- sound existing coats of paint
- gypsum plaster
- gypsum plasterboard
- gypsum wallboard
Drywall or repaired surfaces must be treated to create a surface of equal absorbency to prevent “ghosting”.
Refer also to our detailed instructions for various surfaces in our FAQ section.
Can I use BAUWERK Prep coat for external application?
Bauwerk Prep Coat is designed for internal use only.
For external surfaces we would consider other materials - see our FAQ section for more information on surface preparation for external walls.